A trip to this Balkan nation offers attractions as diverse as its geography. With mountains and rivers calling out to the hiker and sunny beaches along the Black Sea luring the sun-bathers to its shores, this country truly offers something for everyone who is looking for an amazing vacation. Bulgaria’s cultural history is as varied as its attractions, with a history that includes the Greek, Ottoman, Slavic, and Persian peoples it is no wonder that a colorful history has produced such a fun-loving culture where the nightlife is as vibrant as any you could ask for along these Black Sea shores.
- Sunny Beach is the place to be, with over 130 restaurants, and 800 hotels boasting of 300,000 rooms, as well as some of the most beautiful beaches, and beach goers, along the Black Sea coast.
- Visit during the first week of June and take part in the Rose Festival, watch the rose parade, and maybe even meet the Rose Queen herself.
- Want to see a cathedral that can accommodate 10,000 people at a time? Visit the St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Sofia!
- Smaller in size, but rich in history, the Bulgarian Orthodox Church features frescos that date to the 10th century for your consideration.
- Take a hike to see the Seven Rila Lakes in the Northwestern Rila Mountains. Visit in July or August for the most favorable weather conditions.
- For winter fun, try skiing or snowboarding in Bansko, just outside of Sofia. With ski season running from December to March there is plenty of time to schedule a vacation.
- For a change of pace, try taking a bike tour of Sofia, it is an active way to enjoy the beautiful scenery.
- Public transportation is substandard, private busses, or taxis are a safer bet to get you where you need to be, when you need to be there.
- Trains are available to get you from village to village along the Black Sea coast, but be prepared for delays.
- Though slow, the trains can be comfortable. For a longer trip, try a sleeper car and travel in true comfort along the coast.
Bulgaria has seasonal weather so please do check up on the best time to visit Bulgaria before planning your tour. And if you’re still hunting for more things to do and places to explore in Bulgaria, do check out our Bulgaria Travel Guide for more information.